by Precious of Precious Curls
Now that most of us have a great appreciation and love for our natural hair, it is so easy for us to become hair envious of others’ natural hair!
Yes, sometimes I have a little bit of hair envy. Whenever I see another naturalista rocking huge hair or one with the most gorgeously defined coils, sometimes I feel that pang of envy. I WANT THAT HAIR! But one of the points of being natural is to accept and love your God-given hair, just the way it grows out of your scalp. And when you’re busy envying someone elses’ tresses, we can lose sight of one of the most important reasons of being a naturalista is.
Hair envy comes in many different forms, whether it’s envying the texture, curl pattern, or length of another natural. I know a few people with type 4, very tightly curled/coiled hair who try to mimic a looser curl pattern because they believe it’s more beautiful than their own type. Some naturals with coarser hair long for a smoother, finer texture. Other naturals struggle in the TWA stage as they see other naturals with long tresses and huge fros. Most of these kinds of hair envies are, sadly, the result of a society in which straighter, smoother, silkier, longer hair is the ideal, but it can definitely go the other way around as well.
- Remember that someone else may be envying you. Yes, YOU may be the hair envy of another naturalista! The grass always seems greener on the other side, but from someone else’s point of view, you just may be standing on the greenest grass of all.
- Remember your goals. If you’re a naturalista with a length goal, seeing long-haired naturalistas can be frustrating! But always keep your goals in mind. Be dedicated. And once you finally achieve that goal, you will feel so happy and proud that you did.
- There are positives for every hair type. You may envy a naturalista with a silkier, finer hair texture than you, but did you know that coarser, thicker hair textures can hold up styles for a longer time than finer hair textures can? Think about what you can do with your hair that others may not be able to.
- Appreciate the hair you are envious of, and show that naturalista love! Every hair type is beautiful no matter what! Don’t show any hatred toward anyone because of how their hair looks.
- Remember that you were fearfully and wonderfully made. No matter what type of hair you have, it is absolutely beautiful just the way it is, simply because God created it!